Curious pets can come to harm when it comes to treats and other things connected to Valentine’s Day. To prevent that, here are five Valentine’s Day pet safety tips for practices to share with pet owners:

Chocolate (All Forms)

All forms of chocolate contain the chemical theobromine, which is toxic to pets and can be fatal to dogs.

Foods Sweetened with Xylitol

Foods sweetened with xylitol can cause low blood sugar, liver failure, seizures, and death in dogs.


Just one or two bites from a lily can result in acute kidney failure in cats. Even drinking water from a plant’s saucer can be toxic.


Found in beer, wine, and liquor, ethanol (a.k.a. alcohol) can cause vomiting, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, seizures, and heart attack in dogs.


Tempting toys like ribbons, bows, balloons, and other decorations can pose a choking hazard, as well as cause gastrointestinal blockages in pets.

Click the image below to download the handout: