Incorporating Social Media Outlets
Email marketing is still alive and well but 2011 was the year of social marketing and 2012 will almost certainly see this trend continue to skyrocket. Needless to say, if you have not already embraced this revolution, you need to move it up your to-do list. Now!
Consider the facts:
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the 3rd largest
- Facebook has more than 800 million active users
- More than 50% of active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- The average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- More than 350 million active users currently access Facebook through their mobile devices
- As of June 2011, Twitter was ranked 9th in the world’s most trafficked sites with Google.com in 1st position, Facebook 2nd and YouTube 3rd
- Twitter has over 100 million active users worldwide, half of whom log in daily
- 59% of pet owners are using social media
Without a doubt, incorporating social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter or a blog into your “marketing mix” will increase your reach with clients and potential customers. Social marketing generates conversations and builds relationships with clients or potential clients. And perhaps most importantly, it leads them to your website, and if you have an effective website, traffic equals growth!
Here are some important things to remember in your social marketing efforts:
- Be helpful
- Offer timely tips and information for pet owners
- Be relevant
- Tap in to local or regional pet stories, offer seasonal tips
- Start conversations
- Ask questions or open up a themed discussion
- Engage wisely
- Make your pages interactive but make it easy for your readers
- Be sure they can relate to your questions
- Don’t be afraid to ask them for feedback
- Don’t spam. Publish content that will help your brand and lead to engagement
- Promote occasionally
- It’s OK to tie in promotions to topics (ex. dental awareness)
If you’d like to learn more tips about implementing social marketing in your practice please view our recorded webinar:
Another key benefit of using social media is the improvement in search-engine ranking. Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is the practice of tweaking your website to be search-engine friendly so that you achieve a higher placement in the results of an online search. More about this subject in our next post.
About the author:
Stewart Wright is the Product Manager for LifeLearn’s Client Communication products including WebDVM4 and ClientEd Online. A graduate of Wilfrid Laurier University, Stewart has extensive experience in managing product development and creating and executing effective marketing programs for a wide range of technology related products.